Sunday, June 3, 2012

Flor Patisserie

Date: 3 June 2012
Address: 2 Duxton Hill 
Opening hours: Mon-Sat 11am-7pm, Sun 11am-5pm 
Nearest MRT: Tanjong Pagar 



'Flor' is 'flower' in portuguese. I never asked why they picked a portuguese name for a japanese cafe though. 
The decor is simple, the cafe is small, there are seats for 6 inside and 4 outside. 
There were so many cakes to pick from. I can't wait to go back and try the rest. 




I picked this to try because it sounded too irresistible. Waguri Millefeurille - S$7.30
Simple and good. 
The pastry part is a little hard to break through but once you've got a hold on all the layers, they harmonize together in A CAKE SONG. If you've ever heard a cake song, erase it from your memory because this is so much better. The "Flaky" part served as the chewy textured layer, the sponge cake was buoyant and fragrant and the chestnut cream worked its way as the binder. I detest cream but this chestnut cream worked its magic on me and i dizzyingly fell for its lightness. 




Cacao Royal - S$6.60
Dark chocolate cake with chocolate cream and assorted fruits. Predictable and unsurprising but nonetheless, a good version of a chocolate cake.



Strawberry Souffle - S$6.60 
Light and creamy. The middle portion is a little denser than sponge cake, as expected. So it's safe to say this cake was pleasant but didn't have a wow factor. Also, I wish they'd excluded the berries cos they were useless - bland and dry. 

 When i asked the chef which was his specialty, his face lit up,  his fingers pointed to the display and he exclaimed " berry berries! "with great pride and pleasure. He had been standing at the corner in the back of the cafe, watching people come in and out, greeting everyone with his hands by his side. 
I admire the japanese for keeping their politeness, bringing their culture along to touch us with their generosity and warmth. 




Cakes here are known to be light but there is no compromising on their flavor. The 2 cakes that i've tried have been of delicate work and are exquisitely tasty. Yet another cafe to make you feel you can fill your life with food, when everything else seems to be falling out of it. 

-------------------------
Revisited : 12 June 2012

I'm becoming a huge fan of Chef Yamashita's cakes so i foresee myself going back to Flor again and again until I've tried all their cakes. Even after that, I'll probably still return regularly to be updated on their new creations. 


Today I ordered the Mont Blanc- S$6.95 to share with a friend.  
It reminded me of the Waguri cake except there wasn't the pastry. I still prefer the Waguri, out of the few cakes I've tried. Next up will be the Napoleon and Berry Berries. 
The Mont blanc cake was light and sweet, filled with chantily cream and topped with strands of french chestnut. I liked how un-oily the cream was. The regular under-the-block cake shops often have cakes with yucky cream that leave an oily layer on your lips. But this is different, the cream is light and sweet and doesn't feel oily. 
I don't know how that happens ( i don't bake for nuts ) but yay to non-oily cream cakes. 

 The lady working today asked if i was writing a review and offered to let us try their new creation. I'd seen it before - the Karai cookies but didn't bother since I wanted to focus on the cakes.




It was such a sensation!!!!!!! At first, you just taste the cheesey flavour and get reminded of Chinese new year cookies because of the texture but after a few more seconds, the spicy powdered flavour comes out and WOW was all I felt. 

I liked it so much i just had to get a packet for myself. I would have gotten 10 but then I wouldn't have any good excuse to return to Flor hahaha. 


Can't wait till my next visit to Flor!!! 

No comments: