Saturday, July 21, 2012

Nongkhai Beer House

Date : 20th July 2012
Address: 5001 Golden Mile Complex #01-73/74
Opening hours: 10am - 10pm
Nearest Mrt : Nicoll Highway

A friend of mine recommended this place for authentic thai food at a reasonable price. Being a crazy fan of thai food, I obviously had to check this place out. 
It's located in Golden Mile and is amongst many other thai food restaurants. It was rather heartwarming seeing thai workers, thai disco girls, thai expats all gathering in this place where they can have a taste of home in this foreign land. Being singaporean amongst them rather made me feel out of place but not in a bad way. It just made me feel like a tourist in my own country, which should tell you how "authentic" this place is. 


The first dish that arrived was the spicy grilled beef - $8 that was really spicy (esp if you bite into the chili seeds like I did). The meat was too tough but the sauce was tantalizing. I've tried better beef salads so I wasn't impressed. 

One of the things you'll have to get used to eating at Nongkhai is the smell of cockles.....everywhere. I don't know why there was a pungent drain smell in the air but it definitely didn't enhance my appetite.


Tom yum seafood soup - $12 
I'd asked for tomyum clear soup but it still came out red in colour so i'm not sure what was going on but at least there wasn't the oily texture that i was avoiding. 
This soup was REALLY spicy, especially after a while. It really gets to your throat and I had a little soreness left in my throat the day after. 
If you're not comfortable with very spicy food, do ask them to tailor the level of spiciness for you. 
I did love how their prawns were very fresh and how there were many mushrooms!!! (my favourite) 


Green Curry chicken - $8-10 (forgot to note down the price) 
Not bad but i think i'd prefer it to be more sour and milky. 


Papaya Salad - $5. Fresh, sour, tasty and spicy. 
Tasted like mango salad, couldn't tell the difference. Is it cos they're all raw? No idea if they are even raw but it's good irregardless. 
I think this was the culprit that left my poor taste buds on fire and we had already asked for everything to be less spicy.  PLEASE remember to ask for it to be less less less spicy if you can't take it. If this is how they roll in Nongkhai , i really must salute them for their abilities to enjoy such spicy food. 


Iced tea/ Iced milk tea - $1.50 
The iced milk tea tasted like normal teh ice to me except that it was sweeter in that lemon-grassy way. 
I preferred my iced tea which was lighter and not as sweet. 

Would I revisit Nongkhai? Yes for sure, because i have yet to try their roasted meat and their cockle salad! Plus, what i've tried was not bad so i'm intrigued to try everything else on the menu. 



No comments: