Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Group Therapy

Date: 12 June 2012
Address: 49 Duxton Road 
Opening hours: Tues - Thurs: 11am - 6pm , Fri -Sat : 11am - 11pm , Sunday: 9am - 6pm
Nearest MRT: Tanjong Pagar 



 Having a nice brunch at The Plain with my friend, the Topshopper, we chanced upon the famous Group Therapy. For a weekday, I was surprised at how packed it was, especially when it was already 2pm. 

 We got the dry apple cider to share. (S$12
I don't know if it was cos it's "Dry" but i didn't really like it. Tasted too much like beer. I prefer the pear cider I had at Heart of House.


We had planned to only have a drink, but on the table beside us sat an outrageously tempting plate of poached eggs. Having very weak resistance to good looking food, we caved in and ordered a plate. 


For S$15, it was a reasonable portion given it had a generous portion of salmon. 
I thoroughly enjoyed the crispiness of the thick toast. 
I'm still not sure if it was because I was already full from the earlier brunch, or if the sauce was just too much to handle. The thick layer of hollandaise over the surface of everything was overwhelming, i had to scrap scoops of it away before I could stomach a few more bites. 
I think if they gave less sauce it would have been perfect. 


I like the ambience here though, it has a non-pretentious atmosphere and amicable staff. I would definitely want to come back and try the other items on the menu. It's strange that they have paper menus cos it seems abit too damageable and hard to maintain. I hope they don't print tons of it to replace the dirty ones cos that would be highly un-environmentally friendly. 

A queer thing we encounter would be them charging a dollar for ice. 
Many places charge their patrons for water, but charging for ice? That's a first i've seen. 
I don't quite understand the rationale behind that (no ice machine?) but it can be quite a turn off for certain patrons. It almost was for me, if not for the apologetic look on the waitress's face. 

All in all, group therapy cafe is worth a try and i hope to be better impressed the next time I visit. 

No comments: