Monday, July 23, 2012

Baan Tong Thai (CLOSED)



Date: 23 July 2012
Address: 16 Kim Tian Road
Opening hours: 11am - 230pm, 530pm - 1030pm 
Nearest MRT: Tiong Bahru 



The number of eateries sprouting up around Tiong Bahru have been rising these few months and being a happy resident here, I am more than happy to welcome all of them. 
One of the latest additions is Baan Tong Thai and WOOHOOO I finally get to have thai food whenever I want without having to take a bus to anywhere. 

I can't believe how much thai food i've had over the past week but I'm evidently not sick of it yet so let's keep the ball rolling. 



Pricier than the others that I've tried, the Thai Iced Milk Tea - $3.50 was sweet and less milky than usual. I actually prefer this version to Jane Thai's but my friend disagrees so to each its own I guess. 


The very friendly and courteous manager showed me the packet for the tea leaves which are brought in from thailand. If you're ever in thailand and see them, you could probably buy and try some. 



Tom Yum Soup - $8.80  
The soup looks bare because it kind of was. There was a whole lot of soup but I really wish there were more mushrooms in there, if not prawns. Till now, I haven't found a thai place in Singapore that is generous with ingredients. Is it really that expensive to throw in a few more mushrooms and squids? 
Other than that, the prawns were fresh and the soup was spicy, though not as spicy as Nong Khai's.


Sambal kangkong - $7.80 
 Spicier than usual and a little too soggy for me. 


The kind manager let us try their Tako, usually priced at $4.50
This served as a nice dessert after a spicy meal as the coconut milk in it helped to relief my burning lips.
It has two layers, the top one is coconut pudding and the bottom is a translucent pudding with corn bits and water chestnut. The manager, Daniel shared that they import their pandan leaves from thailand and only serve this dessert twice a month. 

Baan Tong provides a nice and clean environment (as compared to Nong Khai) to enjoy Thai food with friends and relatives. Their waitresses are friendly (though a little inexperienced) and I will definitely be back to try more of their dishes so stay tuned! 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

sauteed mange tout and rosemary garlic fried potatoes The kids’ menu is a little limited but the rest of the menu is generally kid-friendly if you don’t mind sharing This Site