Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Canele Patisserie Chocolatarie

Date: 22 May 2012
Address: Raffles City Shopping Centre 
252 North Bridge Road #B1-46/47
Opening Hours: Mondays to Sundays 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Nearest MRT : City Hall Station


I've read countless of good reviews on how Canele has the best cakes and to-die-for desserts so I finally went to try a few and they have left me wanting for more! I went with 2 other friends for tea on a tuesday afternoon and we were seated right away.

We decided to try a cake, a crepe and the famous sticky toffee pudding. I'd heard about the Le Royale cake and was very eagerly anticipating to try it. I must say I was fairly disappointed because it didn't taste as heavenly as I'd imagined it would be. Also because i have quite a high expectation of chocolate cakes since everyone can bake them, but not anyone can bake them well.


So this is the Sticky Toffee pudding and IT WAS INSANELY DELECTABLE. It's not a lava cake so there wasn't chocolate oozing out or anything, but there was no need for that because the texture of the cake was smooth enough. It's probably called sticky toffee pudding because it has a rather spongy yet moist consistency.


Match that with a pinch of Madagascar ice cream and a dab of the toffee sauce and you're in dessert heaven. It immediately made me feel guilty for not working out enough - so you know this must be really really good to be so sinful. The pudding comes with the ice cream and this costs S$12. Not at all expensive and definitely worth every cent.



This is the Le Royale and it was S$7.50. I know I said I was disappointed, but that's only because I had worked up such a high expectation for it, plus i'm not a big fan of dark chocolate. This cake had layers of chocolate mousse with crispy chocolate praline and cream, chocolate glaze and almonds and finally topped with dark chocolate. Use a fork to break through the layers and then have a full bite of all of them because they work together extremely well - which also means I don't like the taste of the layers individually. It has a smooth enough texture, with the crunchy bits and then the final after taste of dark chocolate left on your tongue. I thought it would go well with a cup of tea, something minty.

I kept telling my friend this cake reminded me of another cake down at the Cafe Pralet in Tiong Bahru. I'll do a review on that soon so we can have some comparison done.


Our choice of crepe was the Flower of the Sea. It was basically filled with Nutella, topped with berries, a wad of cream, praline icecream and caramelized filo. The caramelized filo (im guessing) is the biscuit-like stuff standing on top of the crepe. It tasted a little like tissue prata, it wasn't flimsy and didn't melt in your mouth like I thought it would. Instead, it was crunchy and mildy sweet, very appealing. You put a piece of that biscuit thingy, a slice of the crepe and a tinge of the ice cream and you've got it. A wonderful mixture of flavors and textures in your mouth as you slowly savor that bite.

This is why i love eating. Because no matter how full of failures your day has been, food never fails you ( if you go to the right places ). Canele was the perfect place for me that day, a place to save you from drowning amidst the strange, unreasonable and pressurizing moments of what we call life.

No comments: