Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Preparazzi

Date: 28th July 2012
Address: 29 Boon Tat Street
Opening Hours: 12-2:30pm, 6.30-11pm
Nearest MRT: Tanjong Pagar/ Raffles Place 



A friend and I were on our way to Vanilla Cafe and arrived there a few minutes before 11am only to be disappointed because the cafe hadn't even opened and they were supposed to be open and ready for guests by 11am. They should probably work on their punctuality because it plays a big part on our impression of them. 

All was well though, because we got the chance to visit Preparazzi instead! 

We were told we had to wait for 20 minutes because the kitchen was just getting ready and so we did. 
I'd known Preparazzi to be a catering business because I once worked part time for them and it was a good experience to watch the behind-the-scenes of catering business - how they prepared the food, how they presented it and ohhh how good the food was! So I was highly anticipating the food to be extraordinary, finger licking good. I guess I expected too much. 


I like the setting of the place though. 
Preparazzi had won this 1400 sq.ft shop space, rent free for a year at the "Ultimate Start-Up Space" competition and now here they are, just after a few months of opening. I like how they have managed to "open" up the space they have by mirroring an entire wall. It effectively makes the place look more spacious than it is. 



Truffle Eggs Ben - S$18 
The supposedly truffle hollandaise sauce they use to drizzle over the poached eggs didn't have a truffle oil taste or smell at all. In fact, it was buttery. Way Too Buttery. I quickly scooped the sauce out of the way after one bite of it. I abhor how bland the sauce was and don't understand how it could go well with the smoked salmon. I'd rather they just drizzled some lemon sauce and be done with it. 
The brioche they baked themselves was good though, nicely textured and fragrant. 
The side salad was dismissible. 


My friend tried the Toad brioche - S$15  
This was simple, kurobuta sausage, 2 sunny side ups on freshly baked brioche, along with asparagus and a really interesting onion gravy dip.
The sauce was sour and sweet and should definitely be taken with the rest of the dish because it would be too sour on its own. 
I guess this was simple enough so neither of us could complain. 


Their food is pricier than average and from what I've tried, it isn't all that worth it. Perhaps they have other speciality dishes I missed out on and I am rather intrigued to try them out. But for now, i don't think i'll re-visit them any time soon. 

No comments: