Monday, March 2, 2015

Cambodia- Siem Reap

Cambodia- Siem Reap
Siem Reap was my least favourite of all the places we visited in Cambodia. I like Art, but learning to appreciate architecture and landscapes hasn't happened yet. 

From Snookyville we booked an overnight 'sleeper' bus. The brochure was unsurprisingly misleading.  They advertised a private room, with a queen sized bed and a TV in front of it. That was, of course, not what we got at all. I think we paid about 18usd per person?? Really can't remember. Anyway we weren't fussy bout the sleeping arrangements. It was a more like a super single bed, with no TV and not much privacy. Two rows of double deckered beds lined the inside of the bus, so it could take about 20 - 22 people. 


  Caught the sunrise on the way to Siem Reap while we were driving past paddy fields 

Heard there was a local market so we went to check it out. 

TEMPLE TOUR 

So for Siem Reap, we opted to stay in a more luxurious accommodation and booked a night at a 4/5 star hotel. The tuktuk driver who brought us there also landed a next day job to bring us around all the different temples in Siem Reap, including the Angkor Wat. We paid him around 10/12 usd. 


Honestly after half an hour at the first temple, i was bored to death. Damn snorezzzz. They all looked the same to me. Stopped taking photos after awhile.


This was pretty cool though. Apparently its the signature tree in all the Siem Reap postcards 


After some point, we weren't even sure if we had already seen the Angkor Wat. Even looking at the photos now.....I also can't differentiate hahahaha. 

 

I think this is the one?? Yea I remember the difference between Angkor Wat and the rest was that there was a huge bridge to walk across before reaching Angkor Wat. There were significantly more people too. 
We initially wanted to do the sunrise/sunset tour at the temples, cos I'd seen pictures and they looked so gorgeous. But MJ and I couldn't be bothered to wake up early, and we were done with the tour at around 3pm when it started raining, so we decided to go back to the hotel instead. 
We did come across a lady selling crickets!!! Bought a bag and finished all of it. Crickets tasted really really yummy! I'd tried worms before, which tasted like chicken. The bag of crickets we bought tasted somewhat like chicken too but with more MSG cos they put a lot of spices and dk what. 


Visited Pub Street at night to see what the fuss was about. 


Chose a nice fusion restaurant. I was still aching from my wisdom tooth surgery so couldn't eat much. Damn lame. 


Sangria!!!!! 


Siem Reap was okay, but nothing to rave about. Honestly dk why Angkor Wat is so famous hahaha. Then again i've never been impressed by such stuff. 
If I had known Siem Reap was gonna be so boring I would have spent more time at Koh Rong :((((( miss that place so much. Do not miss the sandflies. BUT LIFE AIN'T FAIR. 
Anyway, I guess i don't regret it cos at least we've been there, done that. And I now know where to return to the next time I'm planning a trip to Cambodia! 

Next up: Phnom Penh! 

No comments: